Sunday, November 16, 2008

NEW JOB!!!


About two months ago Monte applied for a Career Counseling job at BYU. It has been a long process of interviews, but this week he was offered the job. We are both excited about the change. At the same time Monte is really stressed about it. Despite taking a salary decrease we think that it all works out because there are so many better benefits that go along with the job. One thing is that they will encourage Monte to work on his doctorate, which will be all paid for. He has been wanting to go back to school to work on a doctorate for a while now but just couldn't figure out a way to pay for it. I also get to take classes for free, which I am so excited about. I have a huge list of classes that I want to take. One other thing that he is stressed about it is that the job is immediate. They would like him to start in two weeks, but he is asking to wait until after Christmas, January 4th. It would really help relieve some stress if they will allow him to wait that long. He is also having a hard time realizing that his coaching career is coming to an end. He had his closing cross-country banquet Thursday night. He decided that he would tell the team then since they were all together and so that they didn't hear it through the grape vine. It was so sad! Everyone was crying. This is been such a huge part of his life for about twenty years. I think that will be the hardest thing about taking this job is leaving coaching. Overall we think that it will be a good career move for him. He is excited to be able to work at the college level and at such a great school. Our kids are also sad that he is leaving Timpview. They have been so brainwashed about Timpview they don't know anything else. Monte asked Camryn if she thinks that he should go work at BYU. After thinking about it for a minute she responded, "Is there something fun about BYU?" We had to laugh about it. After we told Bryce some of the perks of moving to BYU, like being able to get season passes to the sports games, he is a lot more excited about it. I wonder if Bryce's favorite color will change from Orange, a Timpview color?!

10 comments:

Julie said...

Congratulations, Monte! That is terrific. What fun you can have taking classes, Jill! It sounds like it will be a good move. Go COUGARS!

Kelly M said...

Wow that is so exciting! BYU is a great place to work and I bet you will really enjoy taking classes. There are so many classes I would take just for fun! Congratulations.

Kim said...

Congratulations that is so exciting. I hope it will work out well. Will you be moving closer or staying put? I wish I could take some classes as well, what a great oppurtunity.

Hugs from mom said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you guys. What a big move. Go BYU!

J and J Haroldsen said...

We are so excited for you. Couldn't think of a better place to work!! Congrats!

Christi said...

Congrats! That's awesome. We're happy for you both and hope it's all you expect it to be.

Amanda said...

That is great! I hope everything works out great for you! I hear ya about job changes though! STRESS! :)

Arrington / Becky said...

Congrats Monte!! That is awesome! It's never easy to leave places you have loved behind, but just think of all the wonderful things to come. Good Luck!!
Becky

Toad said...

That is still so awesome to hear about!!! I love BYU and I'm so excited he will be working there. I'm also jealous about the free classes :) Congratulations Monte!!

Amy H. (bird geek) said...

That's great news, you guys. Congrats, Monte. This is a competitive job market, so it says a lot about you and your skills!