Friday, February 6, 2009

What is the square root of 9?

So, as I was putting Bryce to bed tonight he asked me what the square root of nine was. What?! You are how old? Why do you even know that word? I told him three. I asked where he had learned about square roots. He told me that Monte had told him what the square root button meant on a calculator. So then I decided to ask Bryce some square root questions just to see if he understood without the calculator. I started small, 4. He answered 2. So then I asked 16. He answered 4. Okay, so now I really wanted to challenge his brain. I asked 81. Not kidding, in about 3 seconds he said 9. I asked one more, 100. He looked at me like I had just asked him to count to 5. 10 he replied. Okay I found one that took him a little bit to figure out, 144. When he said 12 I asked him how he did that one. He told me that 10 times 12 is 120 so then you just have to add 24 because you have two more 12's left and that makes 24. Sometimes I wish that I could see how his brain works. It amazes me how he can mentally do math so quick in his head. Keep it up Bryce!

8 comments:

Kellie said...

WOW that is amazing, to be honest I couldn't do all of those. I had to think for a minute what a square root was :) Not Kidding!! I think that you have a genius on your hands.

Jensen Family said...

Um, yeah....wow is right. I had to read that about 3 times before I understood what was going on. That's impressive, way to go Bryce!

Brigette-boo said...

that is crazy!! I wish I had his brain, math is beyond me! good for him and good for you two, you must be amazing parents!

Hugs from mom said...

That's awesome. What a smarty pants. He's on his way to becoming the next... (what does he want to be?) Probably some kind of engineer solving problems I never knew existed. Keep up the good work!

Kelly said...

Wow! Remind me again how old he is!! You've got a genius on your hands!

mreay said...

He is so smart! I remember Alison B. telling me he was practically teaching the pre-school class how to read. There's only one Bryce...what a fun and smart boy!!

Andrea Holley said...

That's amazing!

Whitney said...

seriously? that kid is SOOOO smart. he'd beat me in a square root contest any day